FRIENDS OF ST ANDREWS CHURCH
Purpose and Objective
As with any old building, St Andrew is in constant need of repair. This applies not just to the stonework and roof but also to the monuments, fittings, stained glass windows, centre and churchyard.
The recent restoration of St Andrew tower has highlighted the need to generate regular funds for the continual maintenance of the church fabric, without the efforts of extensive fundraising Cherry Hinton would have lost its fine chalk tower which holds the oldest bell in Cambridge.
The objective of the Friends is to maintain, repair, restore, preserve, improve, beautify and reconstruct St Andrew's Church, centre and churchyard for the benefit of the present and future community of Cherry Hinton.
The Friends aim to organise a number of entertaining events every year. Activities include live performances of music, story telling and a murder mystery with three course meal.
St Andrew's Church
The first known record of St Andrew's Church dates from 1201 when land and the right of appointing a clergyman was granted to Henry Fitz-Hughe. There is good reason to believe a church or other important building stood here long before this time - in fact part of the tower is around 900 years old and evidence of human activity is indicated by ancient burials in the near vicinity.
St Andrew's Church is not only a significant historical building, it is a well used and well loved space utilised by today's community. As well as regular use by practicing Christians, it is a focus for important family events such as baptisms, marriages and funerals. It is also a meeting place for local groups, welcoming members and non-church members alike.